Measuring for Curtain WidthTips:
- • Always use a steel tape to accurately take your measurements
- • Please write down the measurements as you go along! Measurements should be taken in centimetres (cm).
If you already have a curtain pole or track, measure the full length of it excluding any finials.
This will give you your curtain width (Measure C).
If you do not have curtain pole click here for further information.
If you don’t have a curtain pole or track, measure the full length of your window , if it is in a recess, measure the full length of the recess (Measure A).
If you have a recessed window, you have the option of fitting the curtains inside the recess or above.
If you want your curtains above the window, you need to decide how far your curtains will over-hang the wall, each side of the window. This would normally be around 20cm (8 inches) each side and enables the curtains to open wider, allowing more daylight to enter the room and gives room for the fixture on the end of the curtain pole. (Measure B)
Now add A + B + B (Measure C). This will give the desired curtain track/pole width.
Remember: Do not include curtain pole finials in your width measurements, the curtain pole should normally be 15 cm above the windows (Measure D)
Measuring for Curtain Drop
Choose your curtain heading: Drop stands for the vertical length of the curtains. Before measuring for your desired curtain drop, you need to decide the curtain heading as this influences how the curtain drop measurements are taken.
For Curtain Headings: Pencil Pleat / Double Pinch Pleat / Triple Pinch Pleat:
As these curtains will be hung from hooks that attach to the eyelet rings, you need to measure from the small ring that the hooks go into, to where you want the bottom of the curtains to be.
For Curtain Headings: Tab top or Eyelet:
As these curtains will be hung on the pole itself, you need to measure from the top of the curtain pole to where you want the bottom of the curtains to be.
Considerations for the bottom of your curtain drop:
Choose where you prefer the curtain drop to be - to the floor, below the window sill or level with the window sill.
- If your curtains go to the sill take your measurement to one cm above the sill so that the curtain does not drag.
- In case your curtains will hang below the sill take your measurement to include to 6" (15cm ) below the sill.
- However, if you need to prevent the cloth from touching a radiator the length should be slightly shorter (circa 1cm).
- Finally, if you like curtains floor length curtains take your measurements to 1.25 cm above the floor so that the curtain does not drag.