When choosing your blind, you will find there is a wide variety of designs, colours and patterns available. There is a different blind solutions for every room and window, whether your priority durability, elegance or for the complete blocking out of light. There are specifically blinds mechanisms designed to keep children safe and sheer blinds that provide privacy but let in lots of light into your room.
Roman blinds are the elegant solution to your design needs. These blinds are formed through soft pleats that flatten when lowered. There is a simple cord rod that lifts and lowers the blinds. You can enjoy a range of fabric designs, so your blinds can become a feature of your room. Most made to measure curtain fabric can be made into roman blinds. Due to the creasing design of the blind 100% cotton velvet is not advised for roman blinds. Roman blinds can be lined in a variety of different fabrics from thermal to blackout.
Roller blinds are made from a specially design stiffened fabric enabling them to neatly roll up when pulled up. These blinds are operated by a spring or beaded side control. You can buy ready made roller blinds but most are made to measure to your exact dimensions. Blackout options are available in a variety of colours.
Roller blinds and venetian blinds work well. Fabric blinds tend to suffer from the moisture and humidity. You will want a blind that lets in a lot of natural light.
Blinds that can be easily wiped down are best here. Wipe-clean roller blinds or metal Venetian blinds are the best choice.
Blinds are an important way of controlling the heat in conservatories. Your choice of blind is unlimited here and you can go for the style of the blind that best suits your style. You need to bare in mind that roller blinds and Roman blinds attract dust and insects, so you will need to clean these more often.
Within a Recess:
- First check the depth of the recess of the window. It needs to be 7.5 cm deep to be suitable for a blind. Consider any handles, which will need to sit behind the blind.
- Measure the height and width of the space. You need to take 3 measurements at different points around the window width and use the smallest measurement to be sure the blind will fit. Use a metal tape measure to take these measurments.
Outside a Recess:
- Measure approxiamately 10cm above the window frame. Use a metal tape measure.
- The blind should extend 5cm either side of the window to block light, therefore 10 cm in total needs to be added to the window width.
- The overlap at the bottom of the blind is a matter of taste but please take into account obstacles such as radiators.
It is possible to cut down ready-made blinds to the size of your window by using these steps:
- Use a metal ruler to measure the required width.
- Deduct the width of the winding mechanism.
- Use a mini hacksaw to cut the tube and sharp scissors or a cutting knife to trim the fabric.
You should dust your blind regularly. If it is a fabric blind, you may be able to vacuum it with the upholstery brush head. Wooden blinds may need to be occasionally treated with a wood cleaner.
By law, designs with cords or chains must always be secured with a child safety device, whether or not you have children living with you. This is because little ones may visit your home from time to time. And if you decide to move, the blinds that you leave behind must be safe for the new owners:
Our standard Roman and Roller blinds are provided with cleats for the controls to be wrapped around.
This device is fitted at a height of at least 1.5 metres from the ground. This device needs to be fitted with a hook to keep the controls taut.
Breakaway components are another safety feature of certain blinds, which sense when a certain amount of force is placed upon them. These are also easy to reassemble if you pull a control too hard and they end up breaking away accidentally.
What do I have to do?
When you buy a blind, follow the instructions carefully and make sure you fit the safety device provided for all a corded designs.
If you're having blinds made to measure, please provide the installation height when you place your order. This is the measurement from the top of your window to the floor. This will enable us to give you the maximum control length possible.
What do I have to do?
Read this leaflet from the British Blinds & Shutters Association or visit the make it safe website.